Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Amnioreduction (March 31/08)

I barely slept Sunday night thinking about the U/S and possibly amnioreduction and the risks of performing the treatment. I kept dreaming of the needle going in, and then my water breaking like a balloon was popped. I was very dizzy when I got up in the morning, my belly was much firmer and I pretty much knew that the fluid increased. At this point, I looked like I was 8-9 months pregnant rather then 5 months.

We didn't wait long to see Dr. M, I was still very dizzy, so the nurse gave me some glucose and cold cloths. I'm not sure if it was my nerves, or that I'm been on bedrest for almost a week already, or a little of both. The U/S really didn't show any surprizes. Unfortunately the fluid in Baby A was not getting any smaller, I was measuring over 10 cm in the deepest pocket, and Lynne had explained on Saturday, that chances are we would have to drain the fluid if it exceeded 8 cm by much. The babies were still healthy, although there was a little concern with Baby B's (smaller baby) Doppler for the heart.Baby B's diastole phase was showing an abnormal pause, however Lynne wasn't too concerned at this point.

As they prepared the room, I was very nervous and cried a little, Keith was there for support as always. All along I kept hoping that we would be one of the lucky ones and that it would all even itself out without treatment. It wasn't the treatment I was nervous about, it was the chance of going into labour. Dr. V also came in the room for the procedure to help Dr. M, as well as a nurse and I believe a student, or resident. It was very quick and painless. They drained 1600 mL of fluid from my uterus!! Then the cramping started and it continued to increase, so of course I was worried, even though Dr. M told me that cramping is common.
It turned out to be nothing a couple Tylenol 3 couldn't fix. I was admitted to the hospital to be monitored for the next 24 hours which is considered the critical stage, and given medication to prevent contractures every 8 hours. Lynne did a quick U/S before I left the hospital to make sure everything was ok, and thank goodness it was. It actually looked like a had a normal twin pregnancy, however I know this can change. We're hoping that we don't have to do this treatment for a long time, but some people get it done every 3 weeks to 3 days. While other's only need it a couple times during the entire pregnancy.

I was discharged yesturday, late afternoon, and I feel great. I am not rushing to the bathroom every hour, I can breath better, the dizziness is gone, and I am so skinny ;) I now look like I am 5-6 months prego. Our next U/S is booked for Friday afternoon.

I really don't know what I would do if Mom and Dad weren't here. They've been a huge help with cooking and cleaning and helping with Emily. And it's also nice to have them here with me when I'm home and Keith's working. Emily was better with me yesturday, I didn't look as sick, and I think that's what scares her. She did lots of cuddling and we played together on the couch.

By this next U/S I'll be 20 weeks. 24 weeks is the first landmark, however still a very scary stage. There is a 50% survival rate (i'm not sure if this is for one, or two) and if they do survive a 1/3 chance of some type of handicap. 28 weeks is a much better landmark, with an 80% survival rate....however the goal is to make it to 32 weeks, where the lungs are fully developped and the girls have the best chance.

We still need a lot of prayers, hope, and luck.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Jennifer,

I've been checking often to see how your U/S went, I'm so glad you're home and everything is ok. I think I would have had strange dreams as well, I can't imagine what you're going thru. I guess all you can do is take it one day at a time, rest and take care of yourself. You've got lots of family and friends thinking of you!

Aunt Nancy said...

Dear Jennifer,
I,too ,have been waiting for your update and am very thankful that you have successfully passed another hurdle. Have faith and trust that your little girls will be OK. After all, they will have the most loving caring family to meet when they make their debut.
Continue to pray for God's Grace and believe that He is with you all every step of the way.

Be not afraid.
Take it one day at a time.
Statistics are only numbers.
Faith can move mountains.
God will not give you more than you and He together can handle.
I firmly believe in all the above cliches.

Say hello to Michael and Rhoda from me.

God Bless,
Love,Nancy

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn,

I was so happy to hear from your Mom last night that everything went well on Monday.

Your Aunt Nancy is so right....God will bring you through this and you have lots of family and friends praying for you and the girls.

The girls at work keep asking me how you are doing and so do my sisters...their prayers are also with you.

Even you Uncle Harley talks about you and the babies lots...he said when it is all over and everything is back to normal you need and deserve a nice holiday.

If we can do anything let us know.

We love you!

Pat & Harley

Carolyn said...

Hi Jenn
I am so happy that this step went well for you and Keith. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers! I hope to visit with you soon, take care
Carolyn and Dale

Anonymous said...

My dear Jenn, We've been following your pregnancy updates and wanted to wait until you've rested before calling you & Keith. We're so glad you're home and that everything went well. You're a healthy person in a healthy relationship which means a lot during a pregnancy. And you're surrounded by lots of loving people and positive energy whether nearby or far away like us in Ontario. We love you. -Elizabeth & Robert