Thursday, April 10, 2008

A week in the life of a patient on bedrest (U/S April 7, and 10th/08)

I am now 21 weeks. The week went by surprizingly fast. It may sound silly to some of you to be excited about one week going by, but when dealing with a disease like this, every day and every week we make it through stable is a HUGE relief. It gets us closer and closer to a point of safer delivery.

I've had many people write me or call and ask what in the world I do all day on bedrest, so I thought I'd give a little description of my days. This week has been busy for me, which has been great. Saturday Randy and Tammy and the boys, and Jamie and Danielle and Molly came over for supper, so we had a big turkey dinner and the kids had a great time. The next couple of days I spent preparing for an interview for a job that I REALLY wanted. I had the interview Tuesday afternoon by teleconference, and found out today that I got the job!! YIPEE!!!

Wednesday was a typical day, I spend most of my mornings upstairs in bed watching BT, occasionally Regis and Kelly, checking my mail, researching, or resting. Mom or Dad bring my breakfast and boost up for me, and after I get dressed and washed up, I come downstairs shortly before lunch and spend the rest of the afternoon laying on my left side on the couch (and occasionally switching to the right) and stay here until it's time to go to bed. I get up only to use the washroom, shower and get dressed, and for appointments. The afternoons with Mom and Dad have went by fast, we chat, I read, talk on the phone, eat and drink Boost. Yesturday was the first day in weeks that I had the chance to get some real fresh air for a lengthy period of time. Dad dug out our patio furniture and I rested with my feet up outside, it was beautiful!! I can't wait for the day that I can go for a walk, or run for that matter, although I feel like it will take me years to build up any strength or endurance. Emily is usually picked up from daycare around 4:30, so she always entertains me until supper time. Keith gets her ready for bed around 7 ish and then Mom and I have a game of something and then it's time for bed. I will be very sad to see my parents leave this week, but realize they need a break too, from all the cooking, cleaning, driving me to appointments and picking up Emily, looking after Emily, and emotional support they have provided. I am really worried about Emily, as she's become very dependent on her Nannie, and I think she'll be extremely sad when she realizes she is not home. Her sitter Renae, said that when she wakes from her naps at daycare, she always calls for Nannie. Hopefully she'll adjust quickly to her other grandmother, Keith's mom is arriving tomorrow evening.

Today we kept Emily home, my friend Jen and her little boy Cameron came over to play and visit for the morning. Visitors are always welcome!! (as long as your not sick please). And then this afternoon I had my second U/S of the week.
My biweekly U/S's always bring on some excitement and anxiety and take up a couple of hours of the week. Now that you know how exciting bedrest can be, here is what you're all waiting to read...

Phoebe and Ursula are doing wonderful and continue to hold their own...they both have good size bladder's, the Doppler's for the hearts are well within normal limits, and even Phoebe's circulation in her brain is normal, which is a relief. Sometimes the smaller baby, who donates to much blood, can have brain damage if the brain is not properly vascularized. There is no extra fluid in the Ursula's belly which is also a good sign. Ursula now weighs around 13 oz, and Phoebe 10 oz, therefore 22% difference between the two, which is stable from two weeks ago, but still considered serious when it is above 20%. The amniotic fluid measured both Monday and today, remained at 4.5 cm in the Ursula's deepest pocket, which is more then last Friday, but nothing significant to worry about yet. Dr. M said as long as we're below 10 cm, and the babies continue to do well, we will just keep monitoring. We are all very excited about these positive results and hope every week continues to be this positive. I am back to the hospital next Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're VERY happy to read your news and so glad that all the babies are doing well. I'm sure you'll miss your mom & dad when they leave, but before long...they'll be back at your place baking bread and sharing stories. Your blog is a wonderful way to keep us all informed. I'm sure other parents who are experiencing similar with their twin pregnacies would love to read your positive messages. Maybe you can post it at the hospital? Just think how many people it could help... Keep writing & stay smiling! Hugs & kisses to all of you. xxx elizabeth & robert (ps-i sent you & Keith an email at Gmail)