Monday, April 14, 2008

I am comforted by life's stability

"Stability is to remain unshakeable, without any fluctuation in all situations." In our situation, stability is key, and thankfully another U/S showed this today. Fluid accumulation remains stable at 4.2 cm in the deepest pocket of Ursula's amniotic sac, and plenty of fluid in Phoebe's as well. The bladders are still both present and working well in both babies, and Ursula's heart continues to be normal. Phoebe's heart I am little concerned with. Before the amnioreduction, she had an absent end diastolic flow, which I thought corrected itself after the treatment, however today Lynne told me that the flow was no longer absent, but intermittent. She wasn't too worried about it, but it is not normal which worries me. But she's the professional so I should just stop worrying and trust that she knows what she is doing. Also after a quick check of the cervix...she said bedrest was doing me good, because I've had no thinning since the surgery. Excellent, excellent, love good news.

We chatted briefly about starting on steroids in another couple weeks, once I've hit the 24 week mark. So not only will I continue to get bigger from laying on my butt all day and drinking 3 cans of Boost on top of my meals...(we may need to tear down a wall to get me out of the house by the end of this)...but I will also be ripped from steroids :)
The steroids are to help with the girls lungs if I go into premature labour, and they don't benefit until a certain point in development which is after 24 weeks. I find that reassuring to know that they look into the lung development at that early of a stage.
Well that's it for now, another U/S on Friday, which will be our 10th!

Oh...and NO, Phoebe and Ursula are not really the names Keith and I have chosen for the girls...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stability is key... Soooo glad to read the positive news. - With all the steroids, you might not need help tearing down walls...but in case you do, i'll be there in the fall (just kidding, keith :) tante elizabeth xx
(ps-aunt Nettie is better and is in Fredericton with her son Bernie)

Aunt Nancy said...

Happy to hear you and girls are stable. I know it is hard not to worry when you know something is not quite perfect. Trust the experts but don't stop your vigilance. You have come a long way from last time I saw you. Keep it up one day at a time.
You have plenty of time to follow Pope Benedict's visit. Tune in to CNN TV or computer for live coverage and commentary which is very useful in explaining Catholic traditions,beliefs,practices etc to the "unchurched". Check out: http://www.uspapalvisit.org/index.(In my opinion), keeping current with this historic visit will be more useful to you and your household than watching reruns of reality and other TV series.
I checked out origins of your temporary names for the twins:
Phoebe(Greek) "bright"; "moon" Ursula (Latin) "little bear"

Love and prayers for all.

Aunt Nancy said...

There is 4 hour time difference on this blog as I posted at 2:02pm and it said 10:02am.