Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I really miss maternity leave. Or at least wish I was young enough to retire (or rich enough). I miss the no rush, laid back, disorganized lifestyle I had months ago.

Work does have it's perks... I enjoy my hour at lunch without someone crying, or wanting to be held, or without having to help feed or me trying to convince my 3 year old how yummy her lunch is and how it will make her big enough so that she will be able to go on the rides at DisneyWorld...yes, I enjoy being able to go for a run and not feeling guilty that the kids are home waiting for me so I need to rush back. And a staff room full of women with some good gossip and entertaining conversation, and stories of kids similar in age to mine that make me feel like I'm not alone with parenting.

However... I hate early morning rushes...5 minute showers, quick brush of the teeth, my usual ponytail hair non brushed of course, waking up sleepy children and dressing them as they are just starting to open their eyes and then telling them to eat their breakfast as quick as they can....oh and don't poop whatever you do because we'll never make it in time for carpool!! On a good day I can scarf down a bowl of cereal, and if I'm really lucky grab a cup of coffee (thank goodness for the 1 cup Keurig). And then there is the supper rush which I do alone and am not enjoying so much either. I pick the girls up from the sitter's, Alyssa is absolutely starving and wanting supper ASAP, therefore supper for that night must be cooked the night before so it only needs to be heated up as I walk through the door....I feel like I am always rushing, and for someone as laid back as I am, or so I thought I was, life seems unecessarily stressful at times. Does it ever get any easier, or will I need to always be this organized with meal planning and cleaning...wait a second, No, that is for the housekeeper...who I don't absolutely love, but she does more then I will do weekly. or will she? there is still the constant never ending laundry, breakfast/suppertime dishes and cleaning up toys that is only some of the typical daily chores. The actual work day itself is usually great...until someone tells you how to do your job that is, which luckily doesn't happen that often....
it's just the rushing, I would like to slow down again to maternity style tempo. I wasn't lazy, just relaxed.

How I wish I could sleep in tomorrow with my husband, drink my coffee, go for a run, play with my kids... and still get paid.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

This is why you need to move to the city. Then you would have that extra half hour at the beginning and end of the day and be less stressed. There is a method to the madness.