Friday, June 12, 2009

Climb to inner peace

(I started writing this June 12 but wasn't able to finish until today June 16th. We had some time to grieve Friday morning, but then we were so busy packing and getting ready to go away for the weekend. We needed to get away, so we went to Oak Island Resort, and had a really great family getaway, I think we will do this every year. We received your messages, your cards, your donations made on Jessica's behalf, and your flowers, thank you for being such great friends and a wonderful family.)

A year ago today... while most of you were sleeping, we were in a parent room at the hospital saying goodbye. Goodbye to our youngest child who was known as "Twin B Manuel", Phoebe, and of course Jessica Elizabeth.

One of the biggest struggles I continue to have with this experience is trying to understand why it was our baby that died. After I delivered the girls, I had so many people trying to reassure me that everything would be OK, and I believed them. Because their friends friends, or nephew, or grandmother were all born at 25 weeks, and barely weighed 2 lbs, and look at them now, healthy active happy kids or adults. And of course I had girls, and girls do so much better then boys do. Do they? I met 3 women at the IWK who all had twin boys, and although some of them may have their struggles...they survived. And look at the 91 year old walking around the hospital...he weighed 1 lb 8oz when he was born... years ago when they didn't have the technology they do today, and he was kept in a shoebox. This is what tears me apart, focusing on what we'll never know and remembering how hard it was to let her go a year ago today. I can normally block this out, but days like today, I can't help but ask myself why? once again. Days like today, makes me think of what should have been but what wasn't. Days like today remind me of how much I really hurt, even when I feel fine. Days like today I stop worrying that Alyssa isn't crawling or pulling herself up, I'm grateful she's alive. Days like today I stare a little bit longer at Alyssa and imagine Jessica. Days like today I hug my girls a little big tighter and a little bit longer. Days like today I want to hide under a rock. And days like today....I remember what it was like to hold my baby as she passed away in my arms.

....

The beginning of the day is rather blurry to me. But I do remember stuggling to try and get the words out at our family meeting..."we made our decision, we will let her go" But of course they didn't come out as clear as that...My whole body was shaking, I was shivering, and crying and feeling like "No, we want more time, we haven't made our decision, we're only saying what we feel we HAVE to say" But I didn't, deep down, I knew. My head knew, but my heart will never know.

We spent the afternoon in the NICU with the girls, my parents and Tammy and Randy. Keith and I took turns. He would hold Jessica, and then I would hold her. He held both girls together and then I did. Keith and I were the only two family members to hold Jessica, which is also something I struggle with. When they were both so sick in the NICU, kangaroo care was reserved for the parents because there weren't many opportunities in the beginning to hold the girls. At the time, I just wanted her for us, I didn't want to share her with anyone because we had such little time with her. I wasn't thinking about anyone else at the time, I wasn't thinking that maybe Mom or Dad would have liked to hold their granddaughter, or maybe Tammy and Randy would have liked to hold their goddaughter rather then just touching her. Maybe Jessica would have liked this too. But I was too selfish to allow this. Shortly after Alyssa was placed back in her incubator, Jessica was wheeled into our parent room...Seeing her in our room was incredibly sad, because we knew what was to come. Jamie, Danielle and Molly were there to say goodbye to their niece and cousin, and Emily was there to say goodbye to her sister. She wanted to touch her. She kept trying to hug her and kiss her, we taped her interaction with her sister to show her that she met her. We never had the chance to take a family picture, which I regret.

I remember Mom asking me many times if we wanted her to stay with us, to help us go through with everything, but I said no...at the time, I felt it was something that Keith and I needed to do alone. Part of me regrets this, but then the other half of me thinks we made the right decision. After talking with many other babylost mama's, I realize that many of them had the entire room filled with family and friends, each having the chance to hold the baby after they passed away. For us, we didn't want that. It was so hard for us. I didn't want my parents to see our baby dying, and also seeing how much pain we were in. I didn't want anyone else to have the images of Jessica that I have stuck in my head. I wanted my family to remember her alive, and remember her looking like a perfect little baby.

To most of you, the pictures I posted on here or on facebook may be difficult to see because of all the lines and tubes and how sick she looked. But to me, when I look at those pictures, none of that bothers me, I see her tiny little eyes peeking up at me as we do kangaroo care, I see her little toes and fingers wiggling around and grabbing at my finger, I see more then the equipment. It is not these pictures that bother me, it is the images I can't get out of my head from our last day with Jessica.

I remember laying on the bed with Jessica on my chest. I felt so sick and so tired but didn't want to move because I didn't want to lose a second. For once we no longer heard the beeping of the COT study, it was a little too quiet. Her ventilator was still on and she was still receiving Fentanyl for pain, but that was it, nothing for us to see how she was doing. But I guess it didnt' matter any more because soon she would be gone. I tried explaining to her why this was happening, and telling her how much we loved her and how much we were going to miss her, but nothing sounded right to me. What do you tell your child when you know that you will be calling a nurse shortly to come and pull out the tube that is keeping her alive? there is nothing that sounds right. As we layed there, I kept worrying about her pain, was she having any? I couldn't tell, she was so calm laying on top of me, she looked so comfortable and peaceful. So I left her there for a very long time...I purposely waited until past midnight, because I wanted her to have a full month of life, not a month minus a day. Keith and I struggled on when to call the nurse. She came when we asked, and was so gentle removing the tube. I have a lot of respect for the nurse who was working this shift. She was good to us, she came when we needed her, but also gave us privacy when we needed it. She was comforting, and knew what we needed. She was clearly upset and crying with us, which made us feel like she really cared, and she wasn't just doing her job. She became involved and that meant alot to us. As wonderful as she was...I never wanted to see her again, and thankfully it was a long time before we did see her, and it was never looking after Alyssa.

....

Jessica never appeared to be in any pain. The ventilator noise was off, the room was quiet other then our sobbing. It was the worst experience in my life. And I can still feel the same pain today thinking about it, that I did that day. Her heart was still beating for many hours after the tube was pulled out. When she finally passed away, we could feel the change in temperature, we could see the change in her colour, but she still looked like Jessica. When we decided it was time to give her to the nurse, she asked us if we wanted to help bath her. And I just couldn't. I couldn't help bathe her seeing how lifeless she now was. I didn't want to have this memory of her. So I never bathed her. Once she was bathed, and dressed up, and wrapped in a blanket, we held her for the last time and said our goodbyes. She no longer looked like Jessica to me, and THIS memory is what I can never forget. This is what I didn't want anyone else to see.

Our life has continued to go on. I like my life, I love my husband, I love my girls, I love my family and friends, but YES I am still having a hard time because I also loved my other daughter, Jessica, and I have memories of her that absolutely break my heart. My faith is definetly shaken. This is what I struggle with, this is my mountain to climb...
the climb to inner peace.

3 comments:

Melissa Ruginski said...

That was very touching Jennifer. I shouldn't comment, as I have never been through such a loss, but I can't help but thinking that there is no right or wrong. You questioned a number of things you did, like not bathing Jessica, or not having family in the room with you, but how can any decision you made at that time be right or wrong? Those decisions got you through those moments. That's what matters.

I can't beleive how strong Alyssa is now. I don't know what I expected at her party, but she's very strong. She's sitting up on her own and so attentive to everything going on around her. As strange as it may sound, I felt so proud of her. Weird eh? It's not like I'm a relative or anything.

When I look at pictures Alyssa, I get an overwhelming feeling of hope. Not many things or people can provide a feeling of 'hope', but Alyssa does that for me.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. I'm sure every year at this time you'll morn for Jessica, but someday you will hopefully feel some bit of peace in your heart.

Unknown said...

have you heard the song glory baby it's agood song

jdm said...

Paul,
Yes I have heard of that song, and actually listened to it regularly along with Precious child frequently last year, it is a nice song, but still makes me cry :)