Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Jenn's rant #5

Today I looked at myself in the mirror with disgust, totally grossed out with the way I look and have looked for a long time now. Here I am almost 4 months after giving birth to twins, and tiny twins mind you...and still overweight and not fitting into any of my pre-maturnity clothes. Every morning I go through the same dilemma of what to wear. I sift through all the dirty clothes that are thrown on the floor, the dresser and even in the laundry bin in search of something that will look half decent, and not make me look fatter. With no time to do my own laundry for over a week now (however I do have time to catch up on facebook and read other peoples blogs until 2 am...), I do the smell test. Shirts don't usually pass, but pants and shorts seem to last for a long time. My good old beige maternity shorts with the high elastic waist to cover my protruding belly and a baggy t-shirt or tank-top...although tanks show off my not so flattering arms.

With Emily, the weight seemed to come off much easier. We did lots of walking, the nursing may have helped, I fit into my clothes quickly, even though I still carried a lot of baby weight. I ran a lot which was probably the biggest help. Different story this time. Although you'd think the stress of all of this would make me a mini-me, the Ronald McDonald room and all of its baked goodies have tempted me to much. Every day there are 3 volunteer shifts. And each shift the volunteers bake something delicious...usually the traditional chocolate chip cookies are a favorite, and then there are muffins, other cookies, rolls, cakes...you name it. Walking into a room with such a delicious smell makes it very difficult to not at least try one....of everything. I've never had great willpower, which is why I don't keep sweets or chips in the house. If it's there I eat it. So my best option is to just stay away from the room, however, this is where I usually eat my lunch unfortunately. Which is another problem. Up until yesturday, I bought my lunch almost every day I was here, although I tried to be healthy, it doesn't always work that way....especially since most days I am so rushed in the morning that I forget to feed myself breakfast, so by lunch, I am starved.

As I see all the "skinny" women walk past me, I want to vomit as I have been here the longest and could still pass as a pregnant woman. Monday, I made a batch of the old faithful...taco soup in hopes that by eating this, I will a) save some money, and b) eat healthy and lose some weight. This week I went 3 full days without eating any cookies, and to no surprize lost over 7 lbs from the "no cookie diet". Friday's is my cookie pass day...but only 2.
Well it was until 1 hour ago, when I could smell fresh blueberry muffins in the oven. So I cheated again, and tomorrow will go through the same feelings of disgust as I look at myself in the mirror again....and sift through all of my dirty laundry in hope that my beige shorts that I wore all week will still smell pretty.

There is some positive to being overweight though. When the weight eventually comes off, people usually notice and give you nice compliments. And for me, I'm kind of a yo-yo. In one year I could gain and lose 5 times, so although everyone just stays quiet during the gaining period and talk among themselves "have you seen Jen lately, she's gained a lot of weight"....that means 5 times of compliments when I lose weight....ha! So there you skinny girls...all you can do is change your hair style or something to change your look...

The time factor is always the problem. I love running, and if I had the time i would run every day, every morning. but when you are up till 1-2 am most nights (come on I need some down time too)...early morning runs don't seem so fun.
Well now that I've ranted to God knows how many people, maybe now I will do something about it...and next time you see me, just maybe I'll be wearing something other then my beige maternity shorts, or maybe not.

4 comments:

THE CALDER FAMILY said...

Jen, I love you!! You are absolutely hilarious, and you say thing that all of us feel! You have to know that you are beautiful...even if you aren't the same size that you were before giving birth. I think that I need the same "cookie free" diet. Maybe we can start a support group!

sweetsalty kate said...

Oh be kind, Jenn... I don't know about you but for me, nothing returns to normal in terms of hormones and metabolism until breastfeeding is over.

I'd never met you before today but you do NOT look pregnant. You are lovely and glowing and tired, yes... but no wonder! Give yourself time. You are in a neverneverland of stress. You need to get home with baby girl and big sister and daddy, and not worry about commuting, and be in your own space and your own cosy ecosystem.

Until then be patient with yourself, okay?
xo

Aunt Nancy said...

I could not say it better than your two friends who posted comments. Stop obsessing with your body weight! You are more than what you weigh. Besides, once you get home with Alyssa you will be able to find that running time you need for yourself..while Keith looks after his girls.

I'll help you rant and get perspective:
This is the just your "due birth date".
You are in mourning for precious Jessica and don't have a minute to yourself to cope with all the mixed emotions.
You have a sick 7 lb little girl you love dearly who is not nursing well.You are constantly terrified she will stop breathing.
You turned 30 in the midst of this traumatic upheaval in your life and did not get to celebrate the same way you have in past years.
You have to commute and spend every day and evening at the hospital, when I'm sure you would love to be snuggled up in your own bed at home by yourself or with Keith and Emily.

I posted the comment on your Facebook wall late last night before I read your more positive 100 day post. Sorry if it came across too much like a lecture from a parent ,teacher or "church lady" aunt. I have been called bossy by more than one person.

I talk about my weight all the time too and have yet to harness the willpower needed to deny myself the sweets and chocolate and ice cream I know is causing the extra 25 lbs I am now trying to hide. At least yours is baby fat.

God Bless you all. Mom and I prayed for you when on pilgrimage to Quebec shrines.I prayed for an increase in Faith, Hope and Love.
God will continue to shower you with graces, may you recognize them when you listen to Him in the silence of your heart.
I do love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Jen,

I hear ya sista! I had Sam 5 months ago next week, and I still am wearing a maternity shorts, or a couple of skirts that stretch. Frankly, it sucks! I completely understand what you're saying.
Alas, patience isn't exaclty my strong-suit.
I'm going to a baby shower next week for my friend who already had a baby July 1. She is already back to her pre-pregnancy weight. I just just hear the comments now, "Wow, Melissa is really hanging onto that weight eh?"
Will power is not easy to have with the smell of freshly baked goods. But how about we both try to exercise some will power. You with baked goods, and me with the incessant snacking!