Friday, June 6, 2008

Jenn's rant #2

I feel really bad feeling this way, because I don't want to make another mother's concern seem unjustified...but it is really frustrating to see so many babies come in and leave within a couple of days, while my babies continue to be sick. One night we actually saw a father walk into the NICU with his baby in his arms wrapped up (weighing probably over 8lbs), and no other team members other then a nurse around, and he casually put the baby in an incubator. That baby was gone the next day, lucky boy. And then when you see mother's come in and cry because they can't take their baby to their room that day because they need some phototherapy or something like that...this is a poor me moment...but I can barely hold my babies, and everyone around me seems to be able to take their babies in and out of the incubator as they please. Everyone is in here for different reasons, and I understand that no one wants to be in the NICU, but it would be nice if they could put all the micropremie babies together and all the "big" babies together, so mother's like me don't feel so jealous of the other mothers cuddling with their babies, or even better...taking them home after a couple of days.

I've been told by some of the nurses that I may get to a point where I don't like seeing other pregnant women, because of all of our complications...I haven't been to that point, so please friends and family please continue to share with me your good news!!

That's all I have to rant about now...

1 comment:

Alison said...

Hi Jenn

You don't know me, but I think you have corresponded with my sister via facebook. I gave birth in 2006 at 27 weeks to my girls due to severe TTTS. My girls spent a long time in the nursery - one in particular also developed pretty much every NICU complication under the sun.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I totally understand your rant about other mums not coping when their perfectly healthy baby needs phototherapy or feeding help. It is totally normal to feel like that - those mums have NO IDEA what mums of micro-prems go through!

I will keep your girls in my prayers and will keep following your progress through this blog.

Alison (in Australia)